## Ajai Raj
That's me! I'm a science writer and editor by trade. My speciality is breaking down complex technical topics into simple language, without "dumbing it down." I was that kid who annoyed my science teachers because I loved the concepts but didn't like bothering with all the math.
My work has appeared in Scientific American, Popular Science, The Scientist, COSMOS, the New York Daily News, Business Insider, Salon, Levels, Everyday Health, Anesthesiology News, Gastroenterology and Endoscopy News, and many other outlets.
I've written hundreds of news and feature articles, a number of video and radio scripts, and a bit of interactive content; I've also done some ghostwriting, technical writing, and copyediting, including medical copyediting.
I publish a newsletter called **A Subcreator's Field Notes**, where I write essays, loosely related to a massive fiction/worldbuilding project to create a high fantasy/science fictional world steeped in Hindu lore. You can sign up here: https://ajairaj.substack.com/
[[☄ Aum = Tao = Logos ☄|what this means]]
### Select Articles
- [A Stimulating Option for Spinal Cord Injury Relief](https://www.jhuapl.edu/news/news-releases/230621-spinal-cord-stimulation)
- [Training Algorithms to Sniff Out Sneaky Fentanyl Clones](https://www.jhuapl.edu/news/news-releases/230322-machine-learning-fentanyl-analog-detection)
- [NASA's DART Data Validates Kinetic Impact as Planetary Defense Method](https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-s-dart-data-validates-kinetic-impact-as-planetary-defense-method/)
- [shouted out](https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/3/23622808/nasa-dart-mission-asteroid-kinetic-impactor-success) by The Verge, which is cool.
- [Creating a New Cybersecurity Paradigm for a Cloud-Based World](https://www.jhuapl.edu/news/news-releases/230110-homomorphic-encryption)
- [Ukraine Crisis Latest Activation for Johns Hopkins APL's Disaster Response Corps](https://www.jhuapl.edu/news/news-releases/220810-ukraine-response-disaster-response-corps)
- [Fatigue Monitoring System Holds Promise in Preventing Warfighter Injuries](https://www.jhuapl.edu/news/news-releases/220512-fatigue-monitoring-system-may-2022)
- [Johns Hopkins APL's "Oz" Reveals the Impact of Disaster Damage on Missions](https://www.jhuapl.edu/news/news-releases/220314-oz-disaster-alerting-system)
- [Johns Hopkins APL Researchers Aim to Set Safer Paths for Swift-Flying Robots](https://www.jhuapl.edu/news/news-releases/211216-apl-sets-safer-paths-for-swift-flying-robots)
- [Brain Stimulation Allows Paralyzed Man to Feel His Hand Again](https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/brain-stimulation-allows-paralyzed-man-to-feel-his-hand-again1/)
- [When Will Obama Be Forgotten? Study Reveals Cultural Memory Patterns](https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/when-will-obama-be-forgotten-study-reveals-cultural-memory-patterns/)
- [Lasers That Detect Neurological Disease](https://www.scientificamerican.com/author/ajai-raj/)
- [Feeling Hot Can Fuel Rage](https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/feeling-hot-can-fuel-rage/)
- [Soccer Players Show Signs of Brain Damage](https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/soccer-players-show-signs-of-brain/) (syndicated at Salon)
- [Horses Soothe Kids with Autism](https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/horses-soothe-kids-with-autism/)
- [Review: Auditory Hallucinations, Composed](https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/review-auditory-hallucinations-composed-38121)
- [Inside a Painter's Brain](https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/inside-a-painters-brain-36548)
- [Popular Science](https://www.popsci.com/authors/ajai-raj/) I'm getting lazy.
- [Everyday Health](https://www.everydayhealth.com/authors/ajai-raj/)
- Some other published stories can be found here: http:///ajairaj.pressfolios.com. I'm especially proud of these three:
- [Anesthesia and the Real-Time Mind](https://pressfolios-production.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/story/story_pdf/244707/2447071484267105.pdf) (Anesthesiology News)
- [Trials and Error: Notable Cases of Misconduct in Oncology](https://pressfolios-production.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/story/story_pdf/244709/2447091484267758.pdf) (Clinical Oncology News; formatting is terrible, sorry about that)
- [A MAP for Crohn's Disease: Old Theory Gains Momentum](https://pressfolios-production.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/story/story_pdf/280874/2808741507678274.pdf) (GastroEndo News)
### Socials (deprecated/decrepit)
> I don't like social media — in fact, I quite despise it, but here they are to prove that I exist and am who I say I am.
ajairaj [at] gmail [dot] com